2 Thess 1:3, The Means of Increasing Your Faith – endurance.
Wednesday May 24, 2023
2 Th 1:3-4 We ought always to give thanks to God for you, brethren, as is only fitting, because your faith is greatly enlarged, and the love of each one of you toward one another grows ever greater; 4 therefore, we ourselves speak proudly of you among the churches of God for your perseverance and faith in the midst of all your persecutions and afflictions which you endure.
Theme: Faith increases in the life-long servants of Christ who endure faithfully to serve Him.
- Trials are a way of increasing your faith, Jam 1:2-4.
- However, trials alone are not going to increase faith.
- If we fail the trials, we will only become weaker.
- Trials are necessary, but applied faith to God’s word while in the trial is going to show the reality of the power of God to you – and your faith will increase.
- Christ reveals the key to gaining strength in faith – faithfully serving Him, Luk 17:5-10.
- First lesson – faith as a mustard seed is a little faith placed in the right Person and way.
- Thessalonians do not know a lot yet, but they have a mature faith.
- A new believer can experience peace through faith in the little he knows.
- As we grow in knowledge and mix it with faith, our faith will increase (1Th 3:10).
- The Lord answers their request with a parable of a faithful servant.
- The Lord does not actually answer their request “Increase our faith” with teaching on the mustard seed.
- The context of the parable means that He is referencing their desire for greater faith.
- In essence His answer is, “Give Me a life of service and your faith will increase.”
- And never think that you are worthy of Me.
- Application: There are no “get faith quick” schemes.
- We’ve got to roll up our sleeves and serve the Lord through trust and obedience.
- Our faith and performance will wax and wane, and we must keep going, knowing that God will never desert us and that He will always be waiting for us with encouragement and healing.
- Have a positive outlook (hope), for God is going to complete the work He started in you. Just follow Him.